This month 15 years ago 3,000 people tragically lost their lives in New York City. This occurred when members of the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda hijacked two airplanes and crashed them into the World Trade Center. This tragic event forced us to acknowledge and appreciate the fact that life is fragile. Any day could be our last. One moment we are here, but the next we could be gone. It doesn’t matter our age, color, gender, social or economic status, we could die at any moment.
Understanding this reality makes serving God so important (Ecclesiastes 12:13). It makes being a Christian so very important.
Are you a Christian? There are several valid and important reasons for one to become a Christian. Some of these include…
- Doing the right thing in life. A Christian is one who is a follower of Jesus Christ. It is one who belongs to Christ and is a member of His church (Acts 11:26). It is one who is part of His spiritual family and is not afraid to suffer for His sake (1 Peter 4:16). There is no wiser decision one can make then to submit to the Savior, obey His commandments, and become His disciple.
- Becoming a better person. Since Christians are people who are submitting to Christ, this means they strive to live by the moral code of God’s word. They abstain from alcohol (1 Peter 4:3). They don’t lie, steal, or use filthy language (Ephesians 4:25-29). They control their passions and refrain from any kind of sex outside of marriage (1 Corinthians 6:18). They pray for and forgive others (Ephesians 4:32). They seek to do good to all men (Galatians 6:10). The quality of Christians’ lives are lifted by the teachings of the gospel!
- Becoming an influence for good. Since Christians strive to live by a high moral standard, this enables them to be a positive influence on others (Matthew 5:16). By the way Christians live they can motivate others to want to seek God and become part of His family as well.
- Becoming better for your family. There is no religion on earth that upholds family values in the way that the gospel of Jesus does (Ephesians 5:22-6:4). The gospel teaches men how to be strong leaders for their families. It teaches women how to be great supporters to their husbands and mothers to their children. It teaches children how to be obedient and loyal to their parents. Christians have the potential to have the best family lives on the planet because they are following the instructions of the One who made the family in the beginning – God!
- Receiving strength through trials. God offers His people (Christians) comfort and strength during difficult times (2 Corinthians 1:3). When going through rough moments, the Christian can be comforted knowing God is on his side. He can pray to God and have assurance that God will hear and attend to his pleas (Philippians 4:6-7; 1 Peter 5:7).
The things listed above are all important reasons for a person to become a Christian. But one reason that is equally important (and is often overlooked) is the fact that one day he is going to die. Death is one of the great equalizers in life (Hebrews 9:27) and if a person dies without being a Christian he is going to be in trouble!
People who are Christians don’t have to fear death. Instead they can eagerly look forward to it! Here are some reasons why:
- Christians receive the full benefits of Jesus’ redemptive work because they have believed in Jesus (John 8:24), repented of sin (Acts 17:30-31) and have had their sins washed away by the blood of Jesus through immersion in water (Romans 6:1-4; Acts 22:16). Only Christians receive access to the great spiritual blessings of God (Ephesians 1:3).
- Christians have dedicated themselves to Christ – the source of eternal life (Luke 9:23). He is their master and they are His sheep (John 10:1-10). He is their King and they are citizens in His kingdom (Colossians 1:13). He loves them and they reciprocate that love by obeying His commandments (John 14:15).
- The Lord has promised to raise Christians from the dead in glory and take them back to heaven with Him when He returns (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). Only Christians have this hope!
- The Lord has also promised Christians rest and eternal life because they died in a right relationship with Him (Revelation 2:10; 14:13).
If you are not a Christian, you need to become one because one day you are going to die (it could be suddenly and unexpectantly like those on 9/11). Giving your life to Christ is the only way you can be guaranteed that everything is going to be okay when you die and far away from the fire of hell.
– Shawn Jeffries